Two weeks ago, FDA sent the White House a plan to let pharmacies compound certain peptides. Last week, a patient-safety group asked FDA to make sure that never happens. Neither filing is a rule, and neither one tells you what to do on Monday.
So this issue covers what was filed, a correction we owe you, and the one-page plan that keeps your clinic from making the decision in a hurry.
📡 The Radar
1. A safety group just filed the opposite of the peptide policy, and now there are two open records instead of one. On October 21, the Partnership for Safe Medicines announced a citizen petition asking FDA not to allow compounding of the seven peptides the Pharmacy Compounding Advisory Committee reviewed in July (BPC-157, KPV, TB-500, MOTS-c, emideltide, Semax and epitalon) “by any route,” and asking the agency to disregard that meeting as a basis for future rulemaking (PSM; RAPS). The argument is procedural, not just clinical: PSM says the committee was constituted in violation of federal advisory-committee and ethics law, pointing to members with “financial ties to the peptide industry.” Meanwhile, the interim access policy we covered last issue is still at the White House Office of Management and Budget, still pending, with no published text and no deadline (reginfo.gov, RIN 0910-ZD94).
What it means for your clinic: be careful how you read this. A citizen petition does not stop FDA from acting. FDA’s own rules give it 180 days to respond, and an interim “we haven’t decided” letter counts. What the petition does do is put a conflict-of-interest argument in the formal record. That is the raw material for a lawsuit if the policy publishes, and a reason for the agency to move slower, write narrower or attach more conditions. Add it to last issue’s “Notice” and “None.” Your exposure today is still exactly what it was before October 14, and the range of outcomes just got wider in both directions. A clinic that bet on “approved by Christmas” was already early. Now it is betting against an organized opposition, too.
2. A correction: Wegovy self-pay is $349, not $199. Last issue we listed NovoCare’s Wegovy self-pay pen at “$199/month.” That was wrong, and we’re sorry. Per NovoCare’s own offer page, $199 is a limited-time new-patient price for the first two monthly fills of the 0.25 mg and 0.5 mg doses, through December 31, 2026. After that, the standard self-pay price is $349/month for 0.25 mg through 2.4 mg, and $399/month for the 7.2 mg pen. NovoCare also says pricing “will be updated after December 31, 2026” (NovoCare). What it means for your clinic: if you price a GLP-1 program against the brand, compare against $349, the price a patient pays from month three on. The $199 figure is a two-month on-ramp. And expect the comparison to move again in January.
🔭 The Watchlist
The interim peptide policy: two weeks at OMB. Received October 14 and still pending review, with no meetings logged and no text released. No movement is the expected state. We’ll tell you the week it changes.
Empower Pharmacy: no posted response, six weeks on. The September 18 warning letter page still shows no posted response or closeout letter.
Compounded glutathione: CDC’s count unchanged since mid-September, at over 25 people ill in four states (CDC). No new recalls since the four Texas pharmacies we listed last issue.
PCAC round two: still no date. LL-37, GHK-Cu, dihexa acetate, melanotan II and PEG-MGF remain scheduled only for “before the end of February 2027” (FDA PCAC page).
The 503B GLP-1 rule: no final determination.
🔧 The Operator Lesson: decide before the news does
Here is what happens at most clinics on the day a regulatory headline lands. A rep calls with an offer. A patient forwards an article. Someone on staff says “I think we can do this now.” And the decision about whether to launch, wait or stop gets made in about forty minutes, by whoever is in the building, on the strength of a headline nobody has read past.
The peptide question is a near-perfect setup for that failure. There are two pending filings pointing in opposite directions, no deadline on either, and a sales channel with every incentive to call the first piece of news a green light.
The fix is to make the decision now, while nothing is happening, and write it down. One page. Three scenarios.
Scenario A — the policy publishes. Before you’d add a single peptide, write down what you need to see in the published text: the substance named explicitly, 503A pharmacies only, a patient-specific prescription, and whatever conditions FDA attaches. Then add what you need from your pharmacy in writing: its state license, the substance’s source and grade, and a certificate of analysis per lot. If any one is missing, the answer is “not yet,” and nobody has to argue about it.
Scenario B — it sits at OMB for months. That is the most likely outcome and the easiest one to lose money in, because the pressure to “get ahead of it” never goes away. Write down that nothing changes: no pre-selling, no waitlists that take deposits, and no “coming soon” on the website.
Scenario C — the petition wins, or the policy publishes narrow. Decide now what you’d tell any patient currently on a peptide you prescribe, and who tells them. You don’t want to be writing that script the morning it’s needed.
Then add two lines at the bottom: who decides (one name, the same person who owns supply-chain intake from last issue, or the owner) and who is allowed to say anything to patients about it before that person has (nobody).
Last, give your front desk a one-sentence holding answer for the patient who asks: “FDA hasn’t changed the rules yet. When it does, we’ll tell you what it means for you.” It’s true today, it stays true until the day it doesn’t, and it costs you nothing.
This takes an hour. The clinics that get hurt on peptides this winter won’t be the ones that guessed wrong about Washington. They’ll be the ones that never decided what they were waiting for.
Before you go
The Clinic Operator’s Toolkit is close. Alongside the five-number owner brief, the price-and-margin review, the payment-rail map and the supply-chain intake one-pager from last issue, we’re adding the three-scenario regulatory decision page from this lesson as a fill-in template.
Reply “toolkit” and we’ll put you on the founding-price list before it goes public.
Still free from Issue #1: the Processor-vs-EMR Reconciliation Worksheet, the monthly pass that surfaced $58,070 in declined charges at one practice, $41,368 of it never recovered. Download it →
Big companies hedge their risks. Now your business can too.
For US farm, ranch and small business owners.
Airlines hedge fuel. Food companies hedge crops. For decades, protecting a business from outcomes it can't control took a broker, a trading desk and an order size most owners never had.
Kalshi opens hedging up to small businesses. Pick the outcome that would hurt you, like a fuel spike, a heat wave, a new tariff or a rate hike, and take a position on it, starting at a few dollars. If it happens, the payout offsets the hit. If it doesn't, the contract expires and the good month was the point.
A California goat herder and a Maryland tea company already do it, and CNBC, Reuters and The New York Times have covered businesses hedging on Kalshi.
Kalshi is a federally regulated exchange.
And tell us: if the peptide policy published tomorrow, who in your clinic would make the call? Hit reply. We read everything.
— Devin & Ryan
Who writes this. Devin Casey, MBA and Ryan Arvizo, FNP-C. We operate Revive Medical Care, a cash-pay practice in Phoenix, and BioPeakRx, a LegitScript-certified telehealth platform. That’s why this brief is about compounding supply chains, payment rails and documentation: we run them, and we usually get the decision wrong once before we write it up. When we have a stake in something we mention, we say so in the same sentence. Who we are, and what we own →
The Clinic Brief is business and regulatory information, not legal or medical advice. Talk to qualified healthcare counsel about your specific situation.


